Item No.: C706h
The Tower of Pisa is the bell tower of the Cathedral. Its construction began in the august of 1173 Although intended to stand vertically, the tower began leaning to the southeast soon due to a poorly laid foundation and loose substrate that has allowed the foundation to shift direction. The tower presently leans to the southwest. The bell-chamber was not finally added until 1372.
In 1987, the tower was declared as part of the Piazza dei Miracoli UNESCO World Heritage Site along
with the neighbouring cathedral, baptistery and cemetery